Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Baked Oatmeal

Here's our new favorite breakfast dish - it is so yummy and I don't even like oatmeal :-)
You can make this the night before and stick it in the refrigerator till morning. And leftovers warm nicely in the microwave the next day.

Here's the original recipe:
Baked Oatmeal
1 cup oil (can substitute butter or applesauce)
1 1/2 cups sugar (can reduce)
4 eggs
6 cups oats
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups milk

Combine all ingredients in order listed. Pour into greased 9x13" pan. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned. Can refrigerate overnight before baking. Serve topped with butter, brown sugar and milk.
Yields: Approximately 12 servings

Recipe from the "money saving mom" website


And here's how I have been making it, I have been making 1/2 a recipe at a time:

Baked Oatmeal
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 cups oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk

Combine all ingredients (I usually do dry first and then wet so I can dirty the least amount of dishes!). Mix well and pour into a 8" square baking dish. I often drizzle molasses over the top before baking. Bake 375 for 30 minutes. Serve warm. You can drizzle more molasses over the top before serving.
Yields: 6 servings

I meant to take a picture of the finished product this morning but I forgot and now it's all gone! So, here's a picture of Caeden playing with his new barrel of monkeys!



No comments: